I don’t know what happens in your house but here, the minute I start preparing dinner Immy is swarming around my feet nagging me for something to eat. It doesn’t seem to make any difference if she has already had a big snack at afternoon tea time, once I am in the kitchen getting dinner ready she is thinking about food!
So what to do? These are my 5 quick and easy toddler snack ideas that won’t fill them up enough that they won’t eat dinner but distract them long enough to let you get on with making it!
1. Frozen peas: Immy loves to sit and eat a little cup of frozen peas. When you eat them one by one it can take quite a while!
2. Dried spaghetti: I used to love sticks of dry spaghetti too when I was little.
3. Ice sticks: Have you seen these ice trays that make little sticks of ice? I just fill it with water and have it in the freezer, keeps Immy easily amused as it slips and slides and melts.
4. Grated cheese: Like the peas, this one is fiddly for toddler fingers, perfect.
5. Frozen berries: Not for the fainthearted as they can be quite messy (and who want’s messy when they are busy chopping, stirring and boiling!), I keep a box of frozen mixed berries in the freezer and they would have to be Immy’s current favourite. I usually stick her in the high chair as I don’t want raspberry or blackberry smeared around my house but she is happy to sit there for her beloved berries!
Do you have any tips or tricks to keep your little ones out from under your feet as you’re making dinner preparations?