Immy recently discovered snow domes in the Australia Zoo gift store! Her one purchase choice out of everything in the store was a Steve Irwin snow dome So this week I thought we might make a simple Christmas snow dome to add to her ‘collection.’
Christmas Snow Dome Tutorial
You will need;
- 1 small glass or plastic jar with lid
- A small amount of plasticine
- Waterproof glue
- Miniature plastic or plaster Christmas figurines
- Glitter, sequins, sparkles
- Form a mound with the plasticine in the centre of the jar lid. Mounting your figurines onto a layer of plasticine lifts them up above the lid of the jar, making them easier to see. Make sure that the plasticine does not spread all of the way to the edge of the lid or your jar will not properly close. Place your figurines onto the mound and check that they fit within the jar. Remove figurines and then glue plasticine into position with the waterproof glue.
- Glue figurines securely into position on top of the plasticine. Allow glue to fully dry according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Place glitter, sequins and sparkles into the jar.
- Fill the jar almost to the top with water.*
- Secure the lid onto the jar tightly. You may like to glue or tape the lid into place.
- Turn over and shake away!
* Coincidentally, I was reading today that the ladies at Irresistible Ideas for Play Based Learning suggest adding a little glycerine to the water. We didn’t as I hadn’t heard this suggestion before and Immy loves her snow dome just the way it is
You’ll find more Christmas inspiration here!