We aim to have dinner on the table by 5.30pm in our house. If it’s delayed for any reason, I’m in all sorts of trouble with a very little someone snapping around my feet with her cranky face on as I try to finish any last minute dinner prep or serving of the meal! What to do?
These are my 5 quick and easy toddler snack ideas that won’t fill them up so much that they won’t eat dinner but might just distract them long enough to let you get on with making it!
1. Frozen peas: Both of my girls love to sit and eat a little cup of frozen peas. When you eat them one by one it can take quite a while!
2. Dried spaghetti: I used to love sticks of dry spaghetti too when I was little.
3. Steamed veggies: Even if the rest of the meal is still a little while away, having the green beans, carrot sticks, broccoli or cauliflower already steamed means that the little ones can start on part of their meal while I finish off everything else.
4. Grated cheese: Like the peas, this one is fiddly for toddler fingers, perfect.
5. Frozen berries: Not for the fainthearted as they can be quite messy (and who wants messy when they are busy chopping, stirring and boiling!), I keep a box of frozen berries in the freezer and they are a big hit with both my girls. I usually stick AJ in the high chair as I don’t want raspberry or blackberry smeared around my house but my usually velcro baby is happy to sit there for her beloved berries!
Do you have any tips or tricks to keep your little ones out from under your feet as you’re making dinner preparations?
- Family Cottage Pie Recipe
- 18 Super Sandwich Solutions Just Right for Kids
- Simple Family Dinners: Chicken Burrito Recipe