My oven has died! Gah! It’s such a nuisance! So a total rethink of our regular meal plan has been in order, and when it comes to school lunch box treats I have had to get clever…with my slow cooker! The first slow cooker cake I shared – the 3 ingredient banana cake – is a hit here but the amount of condensed milk in the recipe makes that one very sometimes treat. This very yummy choc banana cake recipe is certainly a less indulgent recipe but it is still so good…even my less enthusiastic banana kids loves it. And of course, it’s cooked in a slow cooker so that means no hot house here. Which is a good thing given the unseasonably hot Spring we are enjoying right now!
A few tips before I share the recipe;
- You need to make sure that your tin fits in your slow cooker – I use a loaf tin in our oval shaped slow cooker.
- You’ll see that I mention using a tea towel under the lid. The tea towel stops condensation that forms under the slow cooker’s lid from dripping down onto the cake. People have raised concern with me about this but as the tea towel is nowhere near an open heating element I have no problem with it. That being said, I tend to be home when cooking cakes so the slow cooker is not left unattended.
- You might feel that this mixture is less moist than a regular cake mix. As the slow cooker keeps more moisture in when cooking than a regular oven, the mixture does not need to be as wet.
CHOC BANANA SLOW COOKER CAKE RECIPE
You will need:
- 25gms softened butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium ripe bananas, well mashed
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa
1. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence together.
2. Add eggs and mix with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add all other ingredients and mix until well combined.
4. Spoon mixture into a well greased loaf tin and place the tin into your slow cooker.
5. Drape a tea towel over the top of your slow cooker and then place the lid on. Bake on High for 2 hours. Check that the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
6. Remove the loaf tin from the slow cooker. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then finish cooling on a wire rack.
7. Ice with your favourite chocolate icing. Enjoy!
You may also like: