Inside: Make a sweet pom pom bookmark from just some yarn and your fingers.
This sweet pom pom bookmark is so easy to make – you won’t need a fancy pom pom maker or even cardboard, just some yarn and your fingers! Just like our origami heart bookmarks, this pom pom version makes a great art craft project for tweens to keep or make for a friend. It would even make a simple and sweet Mother’s Day gift.
So, if you’ve never made a pom pom with just your fingers hold on for the ride, we’re about to get busy!
How to Make a Pom Pom Bookmark – With Just Your Fingers!
You will need:
- Yarn/wool in your colour of choice
The best way to work out how to make the pom pom bookmark is by viewing the following video. Step by step photo instructions are also included below.
1. Cut a length of yarn 20cm/8in long. Fold the top of the yarn over to create a loop with the top third of the length of yarn. Tuck the loop between your fingers as shown below, leaving the two yarn tails free at the back of your hand.
2. Wrap the yarn around your four fingers until the pom pom is as thick as you would like it to be (tip: hold the end of the yarn between your thumb and forefinger as you get started, this will stop the yarn moving). Cut the end of the yarn away from the ball.
3. Thread the yarn tails through the loop and pull to tighten around the middle of the pom pom (see the video above for more detail). Tie the yarn loop off tightly.
4. Once tied securely cut open each of the loops.
5. Fluff up your pom pom and trim as necessary to ensure the yarn strands are all the same length.
6. Leave one long tail to form the bookmark for your pom pom.
Your pom pom bookmark is now ready to use in your favourite books!