Long time followers of Childhood 101 know that Immy (now six years old) loves imaginative play, and AJ is most definitely following in her footsteps! Creating a small world for imaginative play is so easy to do – just grab your child’s favourite figurines (or small vehicles) and then use a variety of loose parts to create a tiny world of fun. Here are 18 creative small world ideas to inspire you – they are all easy to create and each provide children with a completely different small world experience – happy playing!
18 Small Worlds for Inspiring Imaginative Play
3. A box diorama provides the perfect base for small world play – check out our playful beach scene sans sand!
4. For those who knit, this gorgeous knitted farm play mat is too divine. Via Happy Whimsical Hearts.
5. You Clever Monkey uses a blackboard and chalk to create a very unique small world.
6. A mirror provides the perfect base for a simple Antarctic inspired small world.
7. A cardboard box also makes a fabulous base for a creative small world. Grab your toy cars and zoom away. From Be A Fun Mum.
8. Our treehouse small world has been the most used imaginative play item in our home for three years now.
9. Combine sensory play and small world fun with a sand dough world. Via Adventures at Home With Mum.
10. Keep cool by creating a small world island in your paddling pool!
11. Be inspired by your child’s favourite movie – like this Tinkerbell Secret of the Wings small world from Be a Fun Mum.
12. A tray of sand and natural elements from the garden make a great imaginative play world for those who love to play with cars. Picklebums for Childhood 101.
13. Water + glitter + fairy stones = a fabulous sparkling fairy world.
14. Get the kids busy colouring salt to use as sand (and water!) for this playful miniature beach. From Picklebums.
15. With miniature fairy houses that actually light up, the fairy land shared at Creative Play Central is truly magical.
16. The Craft Train shares a fabulous mermaid play pond.
17. Print out your very own outer space inspired small world and walk on the moon with Picklebums.
18. Take your small world play outdoors by planting a miniature world in a large pot.
Do you have a child who enjoys playing with figurines? What type of small world would they most enjoy?
- Elements for Creating Play Scenes & Small Worlds
- 21 Fun & Fabulous Pretend Play Spaces
- Loose Parts for Creative and Imaginative Play