Celebrate Dr Seuss’ birthday on March second with this funtastical collection of Seuss art ideas, inspired by our pick of the best Seuss books.
This collection includes ideas for drawing, painting, printmaking and more, with ideas suitable for preschool and kindergarten, through to ideas for elementary/primary school age students.
Remember, you don’t have to complete any of these projects as is, I suggest using the ideas as a jumping off point for creating your own Seuss inspired artworks using a range of interesting mediums.
Create a full day of Dr Seuss inspired fun and learning with our other related posts – 11 Seuss Sensory Play Ideas and 13 Super Seuss Learning Games for Pre, K and First.
11 Fun Dr Seuss Art Ideas for Kids
1. Tie Dyed Coffee Filter Art Inspired by The Lorax: A super cool STEAM project for preschool and kindergarten ages, I love that you by limiting colour choices with this activity you can create your very own Earth art, or go all out with all of the brightest colours as a representation of the infamous Truffula trees (via Little Bins For Little Hands).
2. Painting With Truffula Trees: A sweet process art idea for preschool and kindergarten. (via Fun-A-Day).
3. Watercolour & Oil Pastel Truffula Trees: Combine these two popular art mediums to create a hill of truffula trees that really POPS! (via 3 Dinosaurs). If you don’t have watercolour paints, then this oil pastel with olive or vegetable oil painting idea would produce a really cool result as well (from Picklebums).
4. Thing One and Thing Two Blow Painting: I just love the crazy, blow painted hair on this pair of Things! (from I Heart Crafty Things).
5. Apple Printing for Ten Apples Up on Top: While Pre-K Pages creates a cool apple printed number line I think this could be a really cool way for students to star in their own artwork! Start with a photo head shot for each child, printed at the bottom of an A3/Ledger page and invite them to apple print their very own apples up on top.
6. Colour Resist Cat in the Hat Hat: This post includes four variations for experimenting with tape resist to create your very own Cat in the Hat hat (from Mama Miss).
7. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish Origami: Create a whole school of Seuss inspired fish with this handy origami fish tutorial.
8. Sun Printing Inspired by The Shape of Me and Other Stuff: While this one is more STEAM than straight up art, you could make all sorts of interesting images using the sun printing process (via Paper and Glue).
9. Puffy Paint Truffula Trees Inspired by The Lorax: I love the colours and texture of this simple DIY puffy paint and would invite students to use it to add details to a scene they have drawn inspired by their favourite Dr Seuss book (from I Heart Arts and Crafts).
10. Cat in the Hat Directed Drawing: Such an awesome range of results from students achieved with this directed drawing. Great for school age students (via Brown Bag Teacher).
11. Cat in the Hat Rock Painting: My kids love rock painting and this Cat in the Hat rock could inspire older children to bring a whole cast of Seuss characters to life (via The Inspiration Edit).
For even more fun ideas inspired by our favourite Dr Seuss books, check out these fun Seuss Writing Prompts to use with independent writers.