This recipe is a hit in our family for many reasons…
- It’s yummy.
- It’s so quick to make.
- It’s easy to make ahead and reheat following after school dance class (or whatever other activity your children are involved in).
- My daughter is involved in putting her own dish together at the table, it’s a winner for getting fidgety kids to stay sitting at the table.
- It’s easy to vary depending upon your family’s taste preferences…and what’s in the pantry or fridge.
You will need:
- 1/2 leek or small onion, finely diced – I have been using leek instead of onion for a while now because of AJ’s breastfeeding issues and possible food intolerances
- 500gms chicken mince or chicken breast. If using whole chicken breasts, finely dice or mince in a food processor.
- 1x 400gm can borlotti beans or red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning – I have adapted this simple taco seasoning recipe from Planning with Kids – I use rice flour in place of the plain flour and leave out the chilli powder. I make a double or triple batch and keep it on hand in the pantry ready to go.
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Tortillas or taco shells – we usually use a combination of both for our family. I currently use store bought tortillas but when I get some time I am determined to try Kate’s Homemade Flour Tortilla recipe.
- Your choice of other fillings. Although less than traditional, we will serve ours with a choice of;
Tinned sweet corn
- In a little oil or water (I use extra virgin olive oil), saute the leek or onion in a pan over a low heat until soft.
- Add the chicken and continue stirring over a medium-low heat until the meat changes colour completely.
- Add 3 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning and the chicken stock. Increase heat slightly and bring the mix to a fast simmer, stirring regularly as the liquid reduces. This won’t take long so keep a close eye on it. You want the sauce to be slightly wet but not runny.
Serve with tortillas or taco shells and your choice of toppings.
Hints and tips:
- I use this same recipe for a beef burrito version – substituting the chicken for beef mince (ground beef) and the stock for beef stock.
- If I am preparing the meat early in the day for that evening, I take it off the heat before the liquid fully reduces so that when I reheat it on the stove it doesn’t dry out.
This recipe is part of a Simple Family Dinners blog hop. You will find a heap of simple dinner ideas added to the board here on Pinterest over the coming few weeks, or try visiting the participating blogs listed below- just be aware that each day new recipes are being added so the blogs listed after Childhood 101 won’t necessarily have their posts up yet.
Enchanted Homeschooling Mom | Inspired by Family | Sun Scholars | This Reading Mama | Life by Ashley Pichea | In Culture Parent | Raising Life Long Learners | Glittering Muffins | Life at the Zoo | Octavia and Vicky | Kid World Citizen | Kitchen Counter Chronicles | Nomad Parents | Childhood 101 | Triple T Mum | Adventures in Mommydom | The Freckled Homeschooler | Teach Beside Me | The Chirping Moms | Discovering the World Through My Son’s Eyes | So You Call Yourself a Homeschooler | Pickle Bums | The European Mama | The Golden Gleam | Forever, For Always, No Matter What | Motherhood on a Dime | Harrington Harmonies | Rainy Day Mum | Jenni Fischer | Cakes and Sribbles | Toddling Into Madness | Mermaids’ Makings | Mud Hut Mama | Here Come the Girls | All Done Monkey | Small Potatoes | Little Artists