We met our first wooden peg doll gnomes (three of!) many Christmases ago and it was love at first sight. Immy loved playing with them so much that it was only a matter of time before we began adding more little gnomes to our collection but instead of buying them we had a go at making them. They really are so very easy to make and they are fabulous for all sorts of small world, imaginative play. And nowadays, both my girls enjoy playing with them!
Make Your Own Wooden Peg Gnomes
You will need:
- Wooden peg doll family – available on Etsy or via Amazon
- Embroidery thread
- Needle and thread
- Hot glue gun
- Mini pom poms, buttons or sequins
- Permanent fine line marker
1. To create clothing for your gnome, start by cutting a small strip of felt. The width of the strip should be as wide as the height of the gnome’s body and long enough to wrap around the body. Wrap around the gnome and glue into place with hot glue (2).
2. A running stitch around the top of the clothing can pull the neck of the clothing tight (3) but this is purely optional.
3. To add plaits as hair for your gnome, simply plait pieces of embroidery thread together and then glue one end to the back of the head (you will not be able to see the glue as this will sit under the finished hat) (4).
4. To make a hat, cut a small right angled triangle from felt and slightly curve the longest side (5). Curl the hat and hot glue (or hand stitch) closed. Glue on to the head of the wooden peg doll.
5. Strips of felt can be used as scarves (6) and buttons, pom poms and sequins added as decoration.
6. Create a beard by gluing on pieces of wool/yarn with hot glue (7).
7. Draw eyes onto your gnomes with permanent marker.
Add your gnomes to your favourite holiday small world for hours of imaginative play fun. You can see our Gingerbread Rice Small World here.
You may also like;