Dad 101 loves rice pudding (apparently it’s a comfort food from his childhood) and was keen to introduce it to our girls. So I experimented a little to create a dairy free version we can all enjoy. It’s actually pretty healthy, meaning it’s actually perfect for a pudding-for-breakfast treat!
Coconut Rice Pudding with Mango Puree Recipe
You will need:
- 3/4 cup medium grain rice
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- 400ml water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 90gm brown sugar* (optional, see note below)
- 1 large or two small fresh mangoes or 4 tinned mango cheeks
- Place rice, coconut milk, water, vanilla essence and sugar (if using) into a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring rice to the boil over a medium heat and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 40-50 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove rice pudding from heat and refrigerate to cool.
- Peel and deseed mango, puree with a hand blender or similar. Stir through cold rice pudding and serve.
Hints & tips:
- I did not add sugar* as the mango puree was sweet enough for our family. If you are choosing not to mix through a fruit puree, I would suggest adding the sugar at the cooking stage.
- Substitute the mango puree with other flavours that compliment coconut – mashed banana, berry or pineapple puree. Chocolate and caramel also taste great when paired with coconut 😉
Is rice pudding a favourite in your family?