Immy loves to eat tacos and burritos and this got me thinking about similar types of foods that I could introduce to her. Looking through the cookbook from the child care centre which I ran for 5 years I came across the recipe for Sang Choy Bow, of course this one is kids style! The children at the centre really enjoyed this one, must be something to do with eating with your hands!
Sang Choy Bow Recipe – Kids Style
You will need:
- 1kg beef mince
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Soy sauce (to taste)
- 100ml water
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, diced (celery, capsicum and mushrooms work well)
- 230gm can bamboo shoots, drained and finely chopped
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 iceberg lettuce
- Saute onion and garlic in sesame oil.
- Add mince and brown well.
- Add lemon juice, vegetables and bamboo shoots. Add soy sauce and seasoning to taste, with 100ml water. Cook until vegetables are just soft.
- Cook brown rice according to packet instructions.
- Wash and separate iceberg lettuce leaves.
- Place cooked rice and mince mixture into lettuce leaves, wrap lettuce around mixture and eat with fingers.