I know Chocolate Crackles are an Australian and New Zealand party classic but they really are too good not to share with the rest of the world. For those living afar, I liken Chocolate Crackles to Rice Krispies Treats…but better! And these Double Chocolate Crackles are absolutely heavenly for those with a sweet tooth!
The half egg shape makes these perfect as an Easter treat but they will also work deliciously well as a party food. And they are fun to make with kids – my almost-three year old had a ball mixing the recipe, mixing the melted chocolate, drizzling the chocolate and adding the sprinkles.
Double Chocolate Crackle Eggs Recipe
You will need:
- One batch of my healthier Chocolate Crackle mixture – you can find the recipe here. Follow it to the end of step 3.
- White chocolate and gel or powdered food colouring in your chosen colours OR coloured candy melts
- Coloured sprinkles
- Spray cooking oil
- A plastic or silicone half egg chocolate mould
1. Prepare Chocolate Crackle mixture to the end of step three of the original recipe. Very lightly spray your chocolate mould with cooking oil and then press mixture into the egg wells until full. Keep the topside as flat as possible.
2. Place in the refrigerator to set, about 1-2 hours.
3. Once the eggs have set, melt your white chocolate or candy melts according to the directions on the packet. I used the microwave method. You won’t need a lot, I used about 125gms of chocolate to 12 eggs.
4. If using white chocolate, divide the melted chocolate into separate bowls, one for each colour. Add powdered or gel colouring a little at a time until your desired colour is reached.
5. Using a teaspoon, drizzle the chocolate over the top of the egg, it may run a little depending upon the consistency of your melted chocolate. You can cover your eggs as much or as little as you like.
6. Sprinkle with coloured sprinkles and return to the fridge until the chocolate has set.
For those overseas, have you ever tried a Chocolate Crackle before?