I love easy, straightforward dinner recipes. The only thing I love more than easy, straightforward dinner recipes, are meals that my hubby cooks, and my children devour!
This simple dinner recipe for chicken kebabs, I am pleased to say, hits the jackpot. It’s super easy, involves hubby cooking it, and my children love it. If only you could see me beam from ear to ear (now truth be told, I did the preparation for it – but hubby did cook it up on the barbeque).
The preparation is as easy as pie. Marinating the chicken is key, because most foods are cooked quickly over high heat on the barbecue. Marinating meats tenderizes it and adds extra flavour. The longer foods are left to marinate, the stronger the flavour will be. I usually marinate meat (beef, lamb or chicken) overnight. It’s also important to drain the marinade thoroughly before cooking, or the meat will stew in the liquid and become overcooked and chewy.
Honey Soy Chicken Kebabs
You will need:
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 large chicken breast fillets, cubed
- 8 spring onions, cut into short lengths
- 3 capsicums, of different colours if possible
- Make marinade by whisking together the oil, soy sauce, honey, ginger and sesame oil.
- Combine chicken and marinade in a large non-metallic dish, cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
- Soak 20 wooden skewers in water to prevent scorching.
- Drain the marinade from the chicken.
- Thread the chicken, spring onions and capsicums onto the skewers.
- Cook on the barbeque, four minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked.
My household is a big fan of the honey-soy combo, but Mr M, my fussiest eater, wasn’t enthused about eating these chicken kebabs at first. However, after a few reluctant mouthfuls, he changed his mind and declared, with a smile, “These are so yummy!”. You could have knocked me over with a feather; I’m sure parents of fussy eaters can relate. These much loved easy dinner recipes are so precious!
What’s your family’s favourite easy dinner recipe?