Miss 8 had decided (at least for this week!) that she wants to be a fashion designer when she grows up! Both my girls are all about sparkles and ruffles and pretty shoes! As I don’t want to encourage an expensive shoe fetish (at least not too early), this DIY fashion project is a perfect compromise – decorate your own shoes! They are super easy to make, in fact, the hardest part might just be getting your child to take the completed shoes off!
Create Your Own Decorated Tennis Shoes
You will need:
- A pair of white, canvas tennis shoes
- A set of fabric markers – we used Crayola’s Bright Fabric Markers
- Small, decorative costume jewels (optional)
- Hot glue gun (optional)
1. Remove the shoe laces and create your very own colourful designs all over the shoes with the fabric markers.
2. Follow the manufacturer’s directions provided with the fabric markers to heat set the design. Our markers required putting the shoes in the tumble dryer for 30 minutes.
3. Glue jewels into place with hot glue.
4. Re-thread the laces and step out with your very own rainbows at your feet!
More Cool Explorations with Colour!
This is STEM, art and literacy like you’ve never seen it before – dressed up in all the colours of the rainbow! Kaleidoscope: Hands-On Explorations in Colour (and Color!) includes 25 awe-inspiring projects that integrate learning across a range of subject areas, including the STEM topics of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, as well as art, literacy and cooking. This is a great resource for teachers, parents, camp organisers, youth and community group leaders, homeschoolers, out of school care educators and more. Pop over to find out more.