My imaginative kids have always been captivated by the magical and mythical – unicorns, mermaids, fairies, dragons – if you can imagine it we’ve likely read about it, drawn it and played pretend as it! They also both love sensory play. This magical, glittery sensory jar marries both of these obsessions. It can represent so many things – unicorn kisses, mermaid tears, fairy dust, even a peek into an intergalactic supernova!
Inviting children to make their own would be a great birthday or sleepover party activity, especially for primary/elementary aged children. It’s not difficult to do and only requires a few simple craft materials.
RELATED: Find more of our favourite sensory bottle ideas in this great big collection.
How to Make a Magical Glitter Sensory Jar
- Mason jar with lid (or similar)
- Acrylic paint in diva pink, laguna, and velvet crush (or similar)
- Cotton balls – enough to fill the jar
- Glitter in pink, blue and gold
- 3 cups
- A craft stick for stirring
- Star shaped confetti (optional)
1. Fill a small cup with water.
2. Add several drops of one colour of acrylic paint to each cup of water and stir, repeat with remaining colours and cups. This jar uses purple, pink and blue.
3. Fill the mason jar a third full of cotton balls. As you add the cotton balls, gently pull them apart to fluff them up.
4. Sprinkle glitter and star confetti onto this first layer of cotton balls.
5. Carefully pour the first cup of paint water on the cotton balls – we started with purple.
6. Add another layer of fluffed cotton balls to the jar, this time until the jar is two thirds full.
7. Sprinkle on more glitter and star confetti.
8. Pour the next cup of paint water carefully onto the cotton balls (we added pink next).
9. Fill the jar to the top with fluffed up cotton balls.
10. Add more glitter and star confetti to the cotton balls.
11. Pour the third cup of paint water onto the cotton balls (this was our blue layer).
12. Secure the lid tightly and enjoy! What will your magical jar represent?