With Immy now 21 months old, this will be our first Christmas with an advent calendar, a tradition I am eager to start and continue for many years to come. I chose this wooden tree which features 23 wooden drawers that I originally saw in the Adairs catalogue. I was a little disappointed when I actually went into the store and found that the pictures are stickers rather than painted illustrations but I figure that they will last for this year and then I have a whole year to replace them with some simple paintings or drawings of my own. That being said, the fact that it was actually on special was the deal cincher!
Hidden in each of the drawers is a tiny tree ornament, individually wrapped, for Immy’s little tree (yes, in anticipation of her wanting to pull all of the ornaments off our larger tree, she will have her own very little tree to play with as much as she wishes!)
And a tiny card identifying an experience for us to share. These are the activities I have chosen (in no particular order);
- Read The Christmas Story together
- Read The 12 Days of Christmas together
- Read Wombat Divine together
- Read The Night Before Christmas together
- Make shapes with the cookie cutters and cinnamon playdough
- Make paper snowflake prints
- Go to Carols by Candlelight
- Make Christmas shaped biscuits
- Make gingerbread biscuits
- Collect pinecones
- Make salt dough ornaments
- Sing and dance to Christmas songs
- Take a drive to look at the Christmas lights
- Help decorate the Christmas tree
- Make hot chocolate with marshmallows
- Make a Christmas wreath
- Make Christmas Rocky Road
- Make a contact paper Christmas collage
- Go and see Santa
- Go to playgroup Christmas Party
I realise that there are not 24 activities here but I am trying to be realistic as I am sure in the busy days between now and Christmas Day there will be a few where we don’t have the time (or I don’t have the energy!) for extra activities!
What are your Christmas advent plans?
Check out what others are planning for Advent at The Adventures of Bear.