My kids love to help cook. Of course, they like making cakes and treats but they are also really interested in helping to prepare family meals. This Garlic & Herb Baked Chicken recipe is simple enough for older children to make pretty much independently but it is also a fun one to involve younger children in. They’ll be able to try all sorts of cooking processes, such as chopping, juicing, and crushing with a mortar and pestle.
Obviously the amount of assistance and supervision your child will need will depend upon their age and experience in the kitchen. You can read more about children learning to cook independently here.
Garlic & Herb Baked Chicken
You will need:
- 1kg chicken drumsticks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
1. Peel garlic cloves. Place into mortar and pound with your pestle until they are well crushed.
2. Add paprika to mortar.
3. Pull leaves from stems of fresh thyme and add to mortar.
4. Chop parsley well and add to mortar. Mix with pestle.
5. Juice lemon, remove seeds and add lemon juice and oil into a plastic ziploc bag. Add crushed garlic and herbs from your mortar.
6. Place chicken into a plastic bag. Seal the top and shake around until all of the chicken is covered with marinade.
7. Place into the fridge for at least one hour (more if you have time).
8. Preheat oven at 220˚C.
9. Remove chicken from bag and place into a baking tray. Bake for 50 minutes at 220˚C.
Serve with rice and vegetables or our fun, kid made Traffic Light Kebabs.