Inside: 21 spring butterfly crafts and activities for preschool and kindergarten.
Spring is one of my most favourite times of the year. The combination of spring air and the beauty of nature starting to peek through from wherever it’s been hiding all winter long! That sunshine feels like it’s calling our names to come outside and play!
During this transition from spring to winter, we love to be outdoors as much as possible. I love watching my kids play outdoors, running around barefoot in the yard. There’s just something so fun and innocent about it, that almost makes me want to kick off your shoes and join in on the fun!
From a young age, my children have been interested in butterflies. It’s no wonder as their transformation is truly beautiful and captivating. That love and curiosity also gives us great ideas for learning and creating. In our house, we like to take the beauty we find outdoors in spring and find ways to keep the feeling with us all year long. Which is why these butterfly crafts are perfect for spring, but also for any other time of the year when you’re seeking that warm, happy connection to the wonders of nature.
21 Spring Butterfly Crafts for Preschool
These butterfly crafts and activities are perfect for all ages to create but they are also simple enough for preschoolers to try too! Butterflies and their curious life cycle are such a magical phenomena for children of all ages.
1. Butterfly Life Cycle Necklace from Fun a Day: This homemade necklace is such a unique life cycle idea.
2. Butterfly Paper Towel Craft via Make It Love It: Show your little ones that it’s easy to reuse and repurpose household items instead of just throwing them in the trash.
3. Free, Printable Butterfly (and other bugs) Playdough Mats from Picklebums: Making butterflies out of playdough is so much fun!
4. Colorful Butterfly Masks from Kids Craft Room: Doesn’t everyone want to be a butterfly? With this simple butterfly craft, they can be!
5. Butterfly Life Cycle Sensory Bin via Pre-K Pages: Teaching your child at a young age the life cycle of the butterfly is fun with this sensory bin craft!
6. Stained Glass Butterfly Craft from Typically Simple: Beautiful to make and hang in the window for the sunlight to shine through.
7. Woven Craft Stick Butterflies via The Craft Train: Simple and easy to make, this is one butterfly craft that will have their imagination growing as well!
8. Butterfly Symmetry Nature Art from Childhood 101: Get outdoors to collect the items needed to create a unique and beautiful nature butterfly!
9. Butterfly Life Cycle Paper Plate Craft via Natural Beach Living: Learning all about the life cycle is educational and fun with this easy butterfly craft.
10. Static Electricity Butterfly Experiment from I Heart Crafty Things: Make those butterfly wings take flight with this static electricity craft!
11. Butterfly Marker Chromatography Science Experiment via B-Inspired Mama: This butterfly is really simple but watching it morph into the end result is certain to be awesome.
12. Sticky Paper Butterfly Collage via Childhood 101: You have to love a sticky craft that’s mess free!
13. Yarn Wrapped Butterfly from Kids Craft Room: Talk about using their hands! This yarn wrapped butterfly craft is one that is actually crazy fun!
14. Rainbow Marbled Butterfly Pasta Art via Hello Wonderful: Watch the masterpiece unfold as your child creates their perfect butterfly.
15. Kid Science – Butterfly Metamorphosis from A Little Pinch of Perfect: This STEM butterfly craft will teach your little one all about the life cycle of the butterfly.
16. Super Simple Butterfly Cupcake Decorating via Picklebums: Creating and eating your butterfly creation is so much fun!
17. Stained Glass Butterfly Craft from Crayons and Cravings: Not only is this butterfly craft fun, but it would also make a great gift for a loved one as well.
18. Line Symmetry Butterfly Paint Craft via A Dab of Glue Will Do: Another great craft showing how painting can result in a beautiful butterfly every single time.
19. Butterfly Squish Art from The Craft Train: Don’t’ worry moms, this craft is supposed to be messy! Let them explore with their hands and minds!
20. Butterfly Sensory Bin Scavenger Hunt via Living Montessori Now: This butterfly craft is so good for the senses as well as discovering with play.
21. Butterfly Collage Art via Fun Learning For Kids: Let your preschooler create and decorate their butterfly however they want!