What to do on a rainy day?
Put on your gumboots and jump in puddles!
Well, we actually waited for a break in the grey, rainy morning before we popped on our boots and headed out into the cold. Immy had a great time jumping and splashing in puddles.
We all have days when we are stuck indoors with restless kids because of the weather. Here are some indoor, physical play suggestions specifically designed to help wear out small people while the rain falls outdoors…
- Make an indoor obstacle course – use chairs to make tunnels, stools to climb over, couch cushions to slide along.
- Jump on the bed (just this once!) or have a pillow fight.
- Play hide and seek.
- Make a sheet cubby house.
- Put on some music and dance.
- Grab some masking tape and tape a hopscotch grid to the floor.
- Blow up balloons and chase them around. Make bats from rolls of newspaper and make a challenge of keeping the balloons from touching the ground.
- Form a marching band with percussion instruments…or pots and pans.
- Introduce the kids to some yoga stretches – if you don’t have a kids yoga book or video for them to imitate, search the web for some pictures as children love trying to contort their bodies into fun yoga shapes.
- What about that old fashioned favourite…elastics!
Or, if you just have to go out..
- Find out if your local library hosts a story time for preschoolers.
- Visit a local indoor, heated pool – this one is guaranteed to tire them out, Immy sleeps like a dream after a visit to the pool
- And of course, rug up and go out to jump in some puddles!
What is your favourite ‘rainy day with the kids,’ physical play idea?