I made this for the first time last night and it was gobbled by by both Immy and her Dad! Great from my point of view because it contains a good variety of vegetables, fish and dairy all in the one meal.
1 cup uncooked rice
1 medium onion, chopped finely
2 sticks celery, chopped finely
1/2 red capsicum, chopped finely
1/2 zucchini, chopped finely
1 small tin corn
1/4 cup plain flour
1 cup milk
1 cup grated cheese
1/4 cup cream
1x 425gm tin tuna
1 teaspoon mustard (I used Dijon because it was in the cupboard)
1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
5 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cook rice as per cooking instructions found on the packet.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and saute all vegetables until softened.
- Add the flour and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes (stirring).
- Slowly add milk and stir until combines and thickens.
- Add 3/4 of the cheese and stir until melted.
- Turn the heat down to low and add egg, stir until combined.
- Add cream and stir through.
- Add tuna, corn, mustard and parsley and stir through.
- Press rice into the bottom of an ovenproof dish.
- Pour the sauce over the rice, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.