This snowy day Christmas village art project is so much fun! I love the contrast of the deep blue paper against the brown, gingerbread style houses most of all.
Plus, being a gingerbread village, this project has a great tie in with literacy learning!
And I love that, even with just a few, simple craft materials and art processes, each child’s Christmas village will look so completely different from the one next to it.
This is a great Christmas art idea for school age children, especially kids ages 8+ years. You can find more fun Christmas ideas for this age group in our collection – 12 Days of Christmas Fun for School Age Kids
Create Your Own Snowy Christmas Village Art Project
You will need:
- Cardstock – brown and blue
- White acrylic paint
- White marker
- 2 paint brushes
- Glue stick
Instructions to make you Christmas Village:
1. Begin by painting a white strip of acrylic paint across the bottom of a sheet of blue cardstock.
2. Cut a series of different sized house shapes from brown cardstock – each a simple rectangle with a pointed roof and each a slightly different size.
You can add a simple small rectangle for a chimney on some of the houses as well.
3. Decorate each of the houses with the white marker. Include a door, window, roof tiles.
You might also like to add some candy-like shapes and scrolls for fun gingerbread house details.
4. Glue the houses, overlapping very slightly, along the top of the snow painted along the bottom of the blue cardstock.
5. Add a little paint along the very bottom of the row of houses.
6. To create the snow effect, load a paintbrush with a good amount of white acrylic paint.
Use the end of another, dry paintbrush to tap against the paint-loaded brush. Keep tapping one brush against the other, all across the paper.
The paint splatter adds a great element of texture to your winter snow scene.
More fun Christmas ideas for school age children;