This easy Slow Cooker Mini Meatballs Recipe has three things going for it;
#1 The meatballs: they are just the ultimate in comfort food and these bite sized mini meatballs are perfect for kids.
#2 Meatballs that cook in the slow cooker: I love the convenience of cooking in the slow cooker!
#3 Meatballs that the kids can make: You can totally put the kids to work rolling meatballs which will keep them busy and help them to develop an important life skill (more about that in this post, Kids Learning to Cook Independently).
Slow Cooker Mini Meatballs Recipe
It’s a simple recipe, with simple flavors, but that’s why my children love it. I hope your family enjoys it too.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 500gms beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 500gm jar passata
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 small bayleaves
- 4 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- (Optional) 2 rashers bacon, finely chopped
- Combine breadcrumbs, eggs and beef and combine thoroughly with your hands.
- Put the kids to work shaping heaped teaspoons of the meat mixture into small balls.
- Lightly brown the meatballs in a frypan over medium heat.
- Place the sauce ingredients into your slow cooker, stir to combine. Add the meatballs, stirring gently to coat the meatballs in the sauce.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Remove bay leaf and serve with cooked spaghetti.
- Top with your choice of grated cheese.
- Browning the meatballs will help them to stay together as they cook.
For more great family dinner ideas, check out these related recipes: