This Sausage and Rice Bake is one meal that ticks ALL of the family friendly recipe boxes. Full of vegetables, super tasty, ready in next to no time and best of all, kids LOVE it.
Sausage & Rice Bake Recipe
Every Monday I get a sense of dread in my bones as I realize I need to plan the meals for the week. Again. Do these little people really need to be fed Every Single Day? Really?!!
I actually love cooking (and I love eating!) but finding food that my little people will gobble up happily, that is good for them, budget friendly, easy to make, freezer friendly, doesn’t bore me to tears and, oh yeah, is lactose free for my baby boy, well… that’s a tall order. Coming up with 5 – 7 of those meals every week? It’s a nightmare!
Fortunately one staple in our house is this one pot wonder! Our Sausage & Rice Bake keeps the whole family fed and happy and, like our Easy Fried Rice and Chicken Meatballs, it’s light on the budget too.
- 6 - 8 sausages of your choice
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 x 425g cans of chopped tomatoes
- Fresh thyme
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F.
- Pop the sausages under the grill or into a pan, turning regularly until brown and cooked through.
- While the sausages are cooking, grab a flameproof casserole dish and fry off the capsicum, onion and garlic.
- Add the sweet potato, carrot and zucchini to the dish and cook for about ten minutes, or until tender.
- Add in the rice, stock, tomatoes and thyme and simmer until the stock is almost absorbed.
- Chop the cooked sausages into small pieces and add to the dish, along with the cheese. Stir through and then cook in the oven for approximately 25 minutes before serving.
- This Sausage & Rice Bake freezes well after baking.
For more family friendly dinner ideas, check out these related recipes;
Pin for later: