This post is by regular contributor Kyrstie Barcak of A Fresh Legacy.
After a long stint of trying all sorts of new recipes and flavour combinations, I have recently reverted to making simpler, less time consuming family meals that are easily adaptable to suite an adult’s palate. Mr Fresh and I have been missing chilli as we both love it, but our boys do not. Generally I do not make separate meals for my kids. We all eat the same thing. The exception to this is that in the case of a curry I use two pans, with the same ingredients, minus the stronger spices and chilli for the kids.
Fried rice is a recipe that is easily adaptable for all tastes. Chilli and herbs can easily be added at the end to serve. I enjoy the simple, clean flavours and healthy fresh ingredients of fried rice. I also like to adapt the ingredients based on what I have available.
Fried Rice Recipe
Serves: 4 adults
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Rice (2 rice cooker cups) – I like to use basmati rice
- 1 chicken breast fillet – sliced into strips(approximately 200 grams)
- 1 tablespoon of Chilli Jam or sweet chilli sauce
- Firm Tofu – 125 grams, cut into cubes
- 3 eggs – lightly beaten
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 1 cm of fresh ginger – peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot – peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1/3 cup of green beans – chopped
- 1/3 cup of peas
- 1 zucchini – peeled and diced into small cubes
- ½ a capsicum – chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- Leaves from 3-4 fresh coriander leaves
- Optional (for the adults) 1-3 red chilli finely sliced to serve
- If you have a rice cooker, put your rice onto cook with enough rice for 3-4 people. Alternatively, follow the packet instructions to cook the rice on the stove.
- Add a dash of oil to a warm pan or wok and pour the eggs in to cook until set remove, slice into strips and set aside.
- Add another dash of oil to the pan and then the chilli jam (or sweet chilli sauce) in a dollop and add the tofu. Stir to coat with the chilli jam/sauce. Remove when it is nicely browned – it will take a few minutes. Set aside
- In the same pan that was used previously, add a small dash of oil and cook the chicken breast slices on high heat for a couple of minutes to brown the outside, reduce the heat and just cook through – remove from the heat and set aside (cover to keep warm)
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant over medium high heat
- Add the vegetables to the pan and stir to combine with the flavour of the ginger and garlic. Cook for 5-8 minutes until the vegetables start to brown slightly and soften
- Add the cooked rice to the pan and stir, add the tofu, egg, chicken and soy sauce and stir to combine and warm through the ingredients that were set aside.
- Serve topped with fresh coriander leaves and freshly sliced chilli for the adults (optional).
Hints and Tips:
- There is no need to wipe the pan out, keep using the same one to flavour the ingredients as they are added.
- For a vegetarian option – leave out the chicken
- For gluten free option – replace the soy sauce with Tamari
- If you are using a rice cooker and the rice is a little bit fry you can add a tablespoon (or two) of water when adding it to the wok and help to stir through all of the ingredients and sauce evenly
- Add the vegetables you have available and your family enjoy
- This meal can be prepared in advance and re-heated to eat
What is your tip for adjusting flavours to cater for everyone’s tastes?