This Chicken and Vegetable Pie features on our family meal plan at least twice a month. It’s an easy chicken recipe and it’s super family friendly – ie. my kids eat it without complaint!
For my family this recipe provides one dinner and a work lunch for my husband.
I’ve included instructions for freezing and defrosting below because it is super easy to do, and this makes this recipe perfect to pre-prepare ahead to eat on busy week nights.
Easy Chicken and Vegetable Pie Recipe
To start, a few hints and tips;
- When lining the pie tin or dish I use 2 sheets of thawed puff pastry. I place one piece into the base of the pan and then cut the second piece into strips to use to ensure the pastry overhangs approximately 2-3 cms/1 inch.
- Use a ravioli cutter or fork to seal the edges of the pie before cutting off any excess overhang.
- I use a glass pie dish when I make a pie so that I can see if the bottom has crisped.
- Double the recipe and make an extra pie for the freezer and you’ll have a family dinner ready to go when you need it.
- This pie can be re-heated whe made in advance, and it freezes* well.
How to prepare and re-heat a frozen chicken and vegetable pie:
Defrost the pie by placing it in the fridge a day before it is required. My preferred method, once the pie is defrosted is:
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Heat the defrosted pie in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the pie into the pre-heated oven to crisp the pastry. This will take approximately 15 minutes, depending on your oven (this method is based on a fan forced oven).
- Rest for 5 minutes and slice to serve.
For more easy chicken dinner recipes, check out these Chicken Meatballs or these Lemon Honey Chicken Skewers. Or for more great family dinner ideas, this Sausage and Rice Bake recipe and our super Easy Fried Rice.