I love this Cottage Pie Recipe – it is a little bit old school but it is also healthy, filling and so very easy to make (in fact I have previously shared the story of my five year old making it in this post – Kids Learning to Cook Independently).
Family Cottage Pie Recipe
Like our Chicken Meatballs recipe, Cottage Pie can be easily modified to add whatever vegetable ingredients you have on hand, or those that your family enjoys. I would place this recipe in the league of Fried Rice or Spaghetti Bolognese – one that you really should have on stand-by to keep everyone in the family happy and asking for seconds!
Cottage Pie will take about 30 minutes to prepare, allow an hour if you are cooking with the kids and will feed 6-8.
- 1 Tablespoon of oil
- 1 small onion – diced
- 2 garlic cloves – chopped finely
- 600 grams lean mince beef
- 1 medium carrot – peeled and diced
- 150 grams mushrooms – diced
- 1 small zucchini – peeled and diced
- ¼ cup beans – chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes - chopped
- ¼ cup of homemade tomato sauce (or 2 tablespoons of tomato paste)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Sprigs of fresh thyme leaves and parsley leaves
- 500 grams potatoes – peeled and diced
- 200 grams sweet potato (kumera) – peeled and diced
- 10-20 grams of butter
- 4 tablespoons of milk (approximately)
- Set a pot of water to boil.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook on medium heat until the garlic is fragrant and the onion starts to soften.
- Add the mince to brow.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes (not the topping ingredients).
- If water on the stove has boiled add the potato and sweet potatoes (for the topping) to cook.
- Turn on the oven to heat to 180ºC.
- Once the potato and sweet potato has cooked, remove and drain and mash with the addition of the butter and milk until the desired consistency has been achieved.
- Remove the mince and vegetables from the pan and add to a large oven-proof casserole, or baking dish.
- Spoon the mash over the top and gently smooth it to distribute it evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 30- 40 minutes until the top starts to brown.
- Serve with a side salad.
For more family friendly recipes, check out these related posts;