This post is by regular contributor Kyrstie Barcak of A Fresh Legacy.
I love this recipe, Cottage Pie is a little bit “old school.” It is healthy, wholesome and so very easy to make (yesterday I shared the story of my five year old making it!) This meal can be easily modified to add whatever vegetable ingredients you have on hand or those that your family enjoys. I would place this recipe in the league of Spaghetti Bolognese – one that you really should have on stand-by to keep everyone in the family happy and asking for seconds.
Family Cottage Pie Recipe
Prep Time: With kids – allow 1 hour, without 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
1 Tablespoon of oil
1 small onion – diced
2 garlic cloves – chopped finely
600 grams lean mince beef
1 medium carrot – peeled and diced
150 grams mushrooms – diced
1 small zucchini – peeled and diced
¼ cup beans – chopped
4 medium tomatoes – chopped
¼ cup of homemade tomato sauce (or 2 tablespoons of tomato paste)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
Sprigs of fresh thyme leaves and parsley leaves
Salt and pepper to season
500 grams potatoes – peeled and diced
200 grams sweet potato (kumera) – peeled and diced
10-20 grams of butter
4 tablespoons of milk (approximately)
- Set a pot of water to boil.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook on medium heat until the garlic is fragrant and the onion starts to soften.
- Add the mince to brow.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes (not the topping ingredients).
- If water on the stove has boiled add the potato and sweet potatoes (for the topping) to cook.
- Turn on the oven to heat to 180 degrees.
- Once the potato and sweet potato has cooked, remove and drain and mash with the addition of the butter and milk until the desired consistency has been achieved.
- Remove the mince and vegetables from the pan and add to a large oven-proof casserole, or baking dish.
- Spoon the mash over the top and gently smooth it to distribute it evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 30- 40 minutes until the top starts to brown.
- Serve with a side salad.