I have had a wee bit of a craving for tinned peaches (in natural juice) with this pregnancy and Immy enjoys them as a snack too so when I was recently thinking of testing our new oven (for those who don’t know, we are in the midst of a kitchen renovation at the moment) I decided to tweak the Oaty Fruit Muffins recipe from Issue 1 of Play Grow Learn to see how it would work with tinned peaches.
The result…nom-nom. These are way too more-ish. I may or may not have eaten about six of them while they were still warm from the oven! With the extra goodness of oats, the creaminess of the sour cream and the hint of sweetness from the tinned peaches, these muffins really are a delicious treat.
Peaches and Cream Mini Muffins
You will need:
1 cup rolled oats
250ml sour cream
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons vegetable oil (we actually used 3T of oil and 1T of peach juice because we were low on oil!)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup tinned peaches in natural juice, well drained and roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease your muffin tray. We used a mini muffin tray and this recipe made 24 mini muffins.
2. Combine the oats and three quarters of the sour cream and set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
3. Sieve flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt into a separate bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, oil and sugar.
5. To the wet ingredients add the oat/sour cream mixture and mix well. Mix in dry ingredients and the reserved sour cream. Finally, lightly fold through peaches.
6. Spoon tablespoons of mixture into muffin tray.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a metal skewer comes out clean.
A great recipe for cooking with kids it includes lots of processes that children can help with – chopping, sifting, mixing, whisking, folding, and of course, eating!
The muffins are very moist and delicious both warm and once cool but I do not think they would last too long so best be eaten while they are fresh. Which makes them just perfect for an afternoon tea party with friends 🙂
What have you been cooking with your children recently?
Have you entered the Spoil Bubs & Yourself Mega Maternity Giveaway yet? Ends tomorrow! And be sure to tell your friends, even if you’re not pregnant or the mama of a newborn!
Read the comments or scroll down to add your own: