Given the popularity of our printable Christmas charades cards I thought it was time to create a new set – to be enjoyed by my family and yours, and what could be more fun, especially when playing charades with young children, than playing Fairy Tale Charades!
This printable set contains 36 fairy tale character cards plus a page of blank cards (printing instructions below) so that you can add even more of your favourite fairy tale characters (or reference well known scenes from the stories you love) before playing – which adds a fun brainstorming element to the game, especially for older kids.
In case you have not played charades before, here is a breakdown of how to play;
Instructions for Playing Fairy Tale Charades
RELATED: Click here for a printable set of How to Play Charades instructions.
You will need:
- A printed set of Charades cards.
- Friends or family to play
1. Choose a player to start the game. The player selects a card at random (without looking).
2. The player pantomimes the word or phrase on the card he’s chosen to the other players – no speaking allowed!
Some common action clues used in Charades include;
- Number of words: Hold up the number of fingers in the phrase. When acting out the first word, hold up one finger, then two fingers before the second, etc)
- Sounds like: Tug your ear
- Short word: Words like a, the, of, and can be indicated by closing the thumb and index finger of one hand together.
Some other handy action clues for play;
- A book: Pretend to read a book
- A song: Pretend to sing
- A movie: Pretend to crank an old fashioned movie camera
- TV show: Use index fingers to draw a small rectangle
3. The other players must watch carefully and call out their guesses. The first person to guess the correct word or phrase takes the next turn.
Optional: Allocate points to each person for each correct guess. The person with the most points at the end of the game wins.
Alternatively, divide into teams before playing. Each player takes turns pantomiming for their teammates. The first team to guess the word is allocated a point. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins.
Download and print your fairy tale charades cards: Click here to download the PDF file. Save the PDF to your own computer. Open the PDF and print the page you require. When printing, select “Fit to printable area” (or similar) to ensure the page fits with your printer type and local paper size (these have been created at A4 size). For best results, I recommend printing on matte photo paper or lightweight cardstock. Once printed, cut cards apart. Laminate for durability (optional).
Having trouble accessing or downloading the file? Please try a different internet browser.
Please note: All Childhood 101 printables are for personal use only, you may not use any part of this content for commercial purposes-that includes selling the document, giving it away to promote your business or website, or printing the file to sell. You may not share, loan or redistribute these documents.
Read the comments or scroll down to add your own:
Christie Burnett says