Yesterday I offered Immy some paper and suggested that she do some drawing at the easel with her oil pastel. Lately her drawings have been all about fairies and angels but instead this time she started drawing lines and shapes, many that were symmetrical. And instead of calling them drawings, when she started telling me about each one she called it her ‘design.’
She produced design after design. Some featured straight lines…
Talking about Line with Children
- Lines can be thick or thin, smooth or rough, short or long, light or dark.
- A line is a path.
- A line can define a shape.A shape can be geometric (circle, square) or free form (organic, natural objects).
- Repeated lines can create texture or value (value is the degree of light or dark).
What have your children been drawing lately?
- Kids Art: Conversations about Drawing
- Kids Art: Further Conversations about Drawing
- How Children Use Art to Process Thoughts, Ideas and Emotions
- Managing Art with Kids of Different Ages
- Kids Art Space Updated