This felt, medieval style princess hat is simple to make and can be machine or hand sewn.
You will need:
- Large sheet of paper for pattern
- Fusible (iron on) webbing
- Decorative trim
- Sewing machine or needle for hand sewing
1. Pattern making: Determine how tall you wish the hat to be. Keep in mind that the taller the hat, the less stable/stiff it will be when playing. Draw a semi circle using the height measurement as the radius.
2. Form a cone from the semi circle, checking sizing on the head of the wearer. Allow a 2cm seam allowance and trim pattern (see below).
3. Use pattern to cut one piece from felt and one from fusible webbing. I suggest finding the strongest webbing that you can to stiffen the hat and help it keep its shape.
4. Iron webbing into place.
5. Pin and sew decorative trim into place along the bottom edge of the hat. I used a giant silver ric rac.
6. Cut a thin strip of sparkly pollytulle (or similar). Fold in half and stitch into place at the top, on the wrong side of the hat.
7. Fold hat in half, right sides together, and pin edges, being careful not to catch the pollytulle. Stitch with 1cm seam allowance.
8. Turn hat right side out and you are done. Play and enjoy.