This craft stick star ornament is a great Christmas craft for elementary school age kids.
You’ll need just a few, commonly available craft materials to make a star, and the finished star can be decorated in so many different ways – pom poms, buttons, sequins, tinsel or glitter are all pretty and festive. You could even make one of each and thread the finished stars onto a ribbon for a sweet holiday garland.
Craft Stick Star Ornament
You will need:
- Large craft sticks
- White craft glue or hot glue gun
- Colourful yarn
- Buttons, beads, pom-poms
How to make a craft stick star:
1. To make the craft stick star, paint five craft sticks in your colour of choice.
2. Take two craft sticks and place them in an upside down “V” shape. Apply a little glue on the join to hold the sticks in place.
3. Take a third stick. Place it diagonally with one point on the bottom tip of the left craft stick and the other end across the middle of the right craft stick.
4. Take a fourth craft stick. Place one end on the top of the last craft stick, positioning it straight across horizontally.
5. To complete the star shape take the last craft stick and place one end on the left hand end of the horizontal stick from step four, place the other end on the tip of the craft stick at the bottom right.
Remember to apply glue to the end of each stick to keep them in place. Allow the glue to dry.
6. Take a yarn of your choice. Tie it on one point of the star.
7. Wrap the star with the yarn.
8. Decorate the star with pom poms, beads or buttons to finish it off.
Add an additional string if you wish to hang the star, or string a series of stars along a ribbon to make a garland like we did for our Craft Stick Christmas Tree Garland.
You may also like: