Beginning school is a major milestone in young children’s lives, and research confirms that a happy transition to school is vital in setting foundations for future academic and social success. Child care centres provide a perfect platform for educators and families to work together to provide each child preparing for school with a solid foundation and a positive, successful transition to school.
A positive transition to school program will focus on all areas of development and consider the knowledge, skills, behaviours and attitudes children need to succeed at school.
Often parents focus on the early literacy (learning about the alphabet, pre-reading and pre-writing) aspects of kindy preparation however it has been established that;
- Well developed social skills,
- The ability to communicate confidently,
- Thinking, reasoning and problem solving skills, and
- Emotional stability and resilience,
are key to a child’s smooth transition. A well run child care centre will have a dedicated transition policy and program to assist to prepare the child and family for this major change.
To read more about successful transitions, check out my previous posts;
- School readiness: What the teachers say
- School readiness: It’s not about reading and writing
- Preparing for the Practicalities of Starting School
- The Preschool Balancing Act
- A Fine Line