This Choc Orange Energy Balls recipe creates a delicious nut and processed sugar free energy ball that is perfect as a lunch box treat or after school snack.
Choc Orange Energy Balls Recipe
The flavor combination of chocolate with orange is one firmly cemented in childhood thanks to one of my favorite cinema snacks – Jaffas! These Choc Orange Energy Balls are so good, and have just the right hint of jaffa flavor, plus they are simple enough for cooking with kids, in fact, my preschooler led the way with this batch!
I usually roll mini energy balls for my girls but you can really make them any size that you wish, depending upon whether you are making them for children or adults.
If you would like a little more intensity in the orange flavor, grate a little orange rind into the processed mixture and buzz again until just combined.
- 200gm dates
- 30gm desiccated coconut
- 60gm rolled oats
- 2 Tablespoons cacoa or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 Tablespoons orange juice
- Place all ingredients into a food processor or hand blender. Process until the oats are finely blended and the mixture comes together.
- If the mixture is not sticky enough to hold together as balls, add a little more orange juice and process again. If the mixture seems too wet, add a little more oats and process again.
- Roll teaspoons of mixture into balls of even size. Refrigerate until needed.
- For a more intense orange flavor, grate a little orange rind into the processed mixture and buzz again until just combined.
- I love rolling mini energy balls for my children. You can really make them any size that you wish, depending upon whether you are making them for children or adults.
For more great energy ball flavor combinations, check out these related recipes;