A delicious slow cooked chicken curry recipe that makes a great family meal.
The slow cooker has been my best friend since AJ joined our family. I love being able to prepare dinner before the 5pm witching hour hits. I love being able to stick everything into the pot before switching it on and forgetting about it. I love the feeling of organisation that comes from having pre-prepared dinner – and sometimes I am even organised enough to prep it all and have it in the pot ready to go the night before.
We were however getting to the stage of eating our tried and tested recipes on very high rotation so I have been experimenting with a few new ideas and last night this chicken curry was a hit with both Dad 101 and I and Immy. It has similar flavours to a Thai green curry, albeit more subtle and without the heat.
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry Recipe
You will need:
- 1 x 400ml can of coconut milk (though I am sure that coconut cream would work well too)
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Chicken thigh – I used 500gms which was enough for the three of us but you could easily increase the amount of chicken without increasing the amount of liquid in the sauce.
- Green beans – I threw in a couple of handfuls of green beans but when I make it again I will add more vegetables. I am thinking zucchini, potato and/or cauliflower would all work well.
- Optional – 2 teaspoons (per kids serve) natural yoghurt – I added this to Immy’s serve as she is going through a bit of a fussy stage of not wanting to try new things but anything with yoghurt or sour cream is a hit in her book!
- Rice to serve
- Pour coconut milk into slow cooker and add onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander and cumin. Stir together and add chicken.
- Cook on low heat until chicken is tender and cooked through – ours was about 4 hours but you will know your slow cooker best.
- Add beans to the pot half an hour before serving. Please note, if using potato or other root vegetables I would add these at the beginning.
- Serve with rice. See my note above about natural yoghurt for kids serves.
Do you use a slow cooker? What are your family’s favourite slow cooker meals?