Inside: A fun confetti-like twist that can be added to any homemade playdough – it’s super cool textured Funfetti Playdough!
As I have shared previously, we love homemade playdough! I have recently been experimenting with adding different sensory elements to further encourage sensory play using all of the senses. In this instance, the addition of colored rice creates a richly textured dough play experience that we are calling Funfetti playdough!
Textured Funfetti Playdough Recipe for Sensory Play
Previously to our base homemade playdough recipe we’ve added glitter for sparkle, homemade berry dye for color, herbal tea for scent and so much more, in fact for your convenience I’ve gathered together my pick of the twelve best homemade playdough recipes for you to try.
To create this textured playdough the key is the colorful uncooked rice. Pre-prepare it following these instructions;
Tips for Dying Rice for Textured Playdough
Dying uncooked rice for your Funfetti playdough is super easy to do. I know that others add vinegar or even hand sanitizer to the process, but I simply place the rice into a bowl, add a few drops of liquid coloring and stir through until the color is evenly distributed. Add the dye a little at a time until the color builds up to your preferred hue.
Then spread the rice out onto a lined baking tray to dry. It shouldn’t take long because you have used such a small amount of liquid to add the color, an hour at most and you’ll be done!
Apart from the rice, you’ll need regular ingredients for homemade playdough – flour, salt, oil and cream of tarter. The recipe located below is an adaptation of simplest, never-fail cooked playdough recipe that I have used for years as both a parent and a kindergarten teacher.
Once your playdough is ready, add a small additional bowl of rice, a few large cookie cutters and a rolling pin and you’re ready to play!
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 2 cups of water
- 3-5 drops liquid food coloring
- 1/2-1 cup of pre-prepared colored rice
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Combine all ingredients except the rice in a saucepan. See note below about coloring dough.
- Stir over a medium heat with a wooden spoon for 3-5 minutes. The dough should begin to form a ball.
- Continue to turn over on the heat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth as it cools.
- Knead pre-prepared rice into cooked and cooled dough.
- For adding coloring to dough you have two options – add liquid food coloring directly to the saucepan before cooking OR add a few drops of liquid food coloring to an indent made in the middle of the ball of cooked dough and knead until the color is fully distributed.
- To prepare rice: Place rice into a bowl, add a few drops of liquid coloring and stir through until the color is evenly distributed. Add the dye a little at a time until the color builds up to your preferred hue. Spread rice out onto a lined baking tray to dry for one hour.
Looking for more fun ideas for sensory play with playdough, check out these related articles;