This DIY puppet making kit is great for using up all sorts of leftover crafty scraps and is a fun way to encourage the recipient child’s creativity and language development. As well as making a great birthday or Christmas gift, it would also work well as a sibling-made gift or even an alternative to a sugar filled party bag.
Puppet Making Kit
For each kit you will need
- 2 wooden spoons
- 4 medium sized googly eyes
- 1 small bottle white craft glue
- 1 roll of double sided tape
- A cellophane, ziploc or paper bag
- A printed copy of the Puppet Making Kit label – you can download the label for printing as a PDF file here. The document includes the label at two different sizes but may require further size adjustment using your own print settings depending upon the size of your paper and storage bag.
A variety of craft materials;
- Off cuts of cardstock and coloured or patterned scrap booking papers
- Fabric scraps
- Small felt pieces
- Short pieces of ribbon
- Wool scraps
- Small pom poms
- Small feathers
- Optional- fine line marker pens for adding smaller details (mostly suitable for older children)
1. Gather together puppet making materials for each kit, cutting paper, ribbon, wool and fabric scraps to size as necessary.
2. Place all materials into cellophane, ziploc or paper bag.
3. Fold label over the top of the bag and staple to seal and secure.
- The Case for Imaginative Play: Emotions and Fears
- DIY Kids: Butterfly Hand Puppet
- DIY Kids: Tabletop Puppet Theatre for Under $5
- Making and Playing With Puppets