Long time friends of Childhood 101 will know that Immy loves imaginative, pretend play in all forms. With AJ showing many signs of following in her big sister’s footsteps I have been thinking about ways to transform the dramatic play corner of our playroom to encourage a range of pretend play scenarios. I’ve had a great time compiling this list of fun pretend play spaces and as imaginative play certainly isn’t limited to indoor spaces, I’ve added a few fabulous outdoor play spaces to inspire your outdoor play as well!
Indoor Pretend Play Spaces
1. Budding hairdressers will love this Hair Salon created from a cardboard box.
2. Playing Mail Centre is a firm favourite with preschoolers, we love this one from Buggy & Buddy.
3. Your children will be dreaming of faraway places with these Travel Agent play area suggestions via a guest post from The Seeds Network.
4. This airport play space is amazing. With thanks to Play to Learn Preschool.
5. The classic Fruit & Vegetable Shop will never get old for toddlers and preschoolers.
6. Older children will have fun playing detective with a little Fingerprint Forensics.
7. Have fun visiting your very own Library.
8. Or bookshop. Via My Little Bookcase.
9. A Florist or flower shop encourages creativity and imagination.
10. Who wouldn’t love to play in this gorgeous Candy Shop via Still Playing School?
11. Or this fun Ice Cream Shop from Crafty Moms Share.
12. This Ice Cream Shop from a cardboard box is perfect for toddlers who love to play pretend.
13. Enjoy a burger, wrap or sandwich in your very own Sandwich Bar.
14. Creating an Office space for pretend play is simple and highly engaging, especially for preschoolers.
15. This Cardboard city space from Paint on the Ceiling is awesome on many levels.
Outdoor Pretend Play Spaces
16. Don’t forget your toothbrush for this great Baby Bath pretend play space from Happy Hooligans.
17. Pint-sized pirates will adore this Outdoor Pirate Hideaway featured in a guest post from Adventures at Home with Mum.
18. It’s time for a Tea party and dress ups in this play area from Squiggles and Bubbles.
19. We love how The Craft Train has transformed a pre-loved cot into a pretend play Princess Castle.
20. It’s time to jump aboard the Backyard Bus from Mummy Musings and Mayhem!
21. Be sure to also check out Mummy Musings and Mayhem’s outdoor Imagination Circle where all sorts of imaginative play scenarios can come to life.
What is your child’s favourite place to play pretend?
- 9 Kids Art Space & Storage Ideas
- Is Imaginative Play Just a Waste of Time?
- Living with an Imaginative Child