Today I am excited to share a healthier vanilla cupcake recipe that is great for cooking with kids.
Those of you with school aged children or kids in child care will probably understand when I say I am slightly freaking out about school lunchboxes. Now that Bear and Bee have started full time school I need to fill lunchboxes 5 days a week for 40 something weeks each year. Which means 10 lunchboxes a week for the girls plus my lunches for 4 days and hubby’s lunches for 5 days. I thought I was prepared for this but now I am just not so sure.
To help with my mild anxiety over this, I have developed a weekly menu plan for our lunchboxes and we have been trying out new recipes for foods to include. I started with homemade lunch box treats – that is healthier versions of snacks our family already likes, such as cupcakes and cakes, and next will move onto homemade versions of the kids favourite store-bought treats, like muesli bars and homemade fruit cereal bars.
First up, I decided to tackle cupcakes. After being inspired by all the delicious recipes on The Healthy Chef site I adapted Teresa’s recipe for Lemon Yoghurt Cupcakes to make a nut free, vanilla version. At this stage the girls’ school isn’t nut free but many schools in our area are and this may change at our school in the future.
Related: Check out these healthier fructose free chocolate muesli bars.
Healthier Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
A few hints and tips to start.
This is a great recipe to cook with kids as no electric mixer is needed. This does mean the cupcakes are a little heavier in texture than regular cupcakes but they aren’t as dense as muffins.
If you individually wrap the baked cupcakes in plastic wrap you can store them in a sealed container in the fridge for future lunches. If they last that long!
These cupcakes are most definitely delicious as is, however Bear and Bee couldn’t stand to see them plain and needed to decorate them with a little icing. Which makes our healthier cupcakes not quite so healthy anymore!
- 150 grams white self raising flour
- 150 grams wholemeal self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 grams coconut oil (or olive oil, macadamia oil, melted butter)
- ½ cup low fat greek style plain yoghurt
- 3 tablespoons low fat milk
- Preheat oven to 160ºC/320ºF fan forced. Line a cupcake tray with paper cases.
- Place flours in a large bowl and mix together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, syrup, vanilla, oil, yogurt and milk.
- Pour egg mixture in with flour and mix well.
- Spoon cake batter evenly into prepared tray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked though.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Individually wrap baked cupcakes in plastic wrap before storing in a sealed container in the fridge for upcoming lunches.
For more snack recipes to cook with children, check out these related ideas;