In this post Ali of At Home With Ali shares a fabulous scented playdough recipe and festive invitation to play.
An invitation to play always delights my 4 year old kiddo. She is the one who always says “Muuummmm, I don’t know what to do.” A simple invitation to play always stops her complaints of boredom and keep her happily engaged for quite some time. Now that the Christmas decorations have hit the shops my little one is full of Christmas spirit and glee…. which makes it the perfect time for a Christmas-themed invitation to play!
Over time I have got better at setting up invitations to play. I used to include far too many materials, which is all a bit overwhelming for small children. Now I stick to 3 to 5 materials which seems to be just right.
Our Christmas-themed invitation to play has been particularly popular. On the table I placed:
- A batch of red peppermint playdough (recipe below)
- Red and white pipecleaners
- Gold stars (found at an art and crafts shop)
- Glitter styrofoam balls (found at an art and crafts shop)
- Christmas themed cookie cutters
- You could also try: aluminium foil scrunched into balls, old Christmas decorations and/or old Christmas cards cut into shapes.
Peppermint No Cook Playdough Recipe
You will need:
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 and a 1/3 cups of boiling water mixed with red food colouring and 5-10 drops of peppermint oil
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the oil and stir through. Add the boiling water mixed with food colouring and peppermint oil. Stir with a spoon. When the mixture has cooled slightly turn it out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough until all ingredients are combined and the dough has a smooth texture.
Variation: If you don’t have peppermint oil try using a cup of strongly brewed peppermint tea (instead of boiling water).
A Christmas Playdough Gift
While you are whipping up a batch of peppermint playdough for your kids make a second batch and package it up as a gift. Cover the playdough in cling wrap and pop it into a pretty container. Decorate the jar with ribbon and add a Christmas cookie cutter. Playdough makes a perfect Christmas gift for a preschooler.
Which scents do you associate with Christmas and the festive season?
More playful Christmas inspiration…