My children have both adored play with homemade playdough, not just as toddlers and preschoolers but well into their school years. Playdough is such a great sensory activity and this recipe is the easiest of all the playdough recipes because it’s made in the microwave. Of course, being Maple Pumpkin Playdough it incorporates the gorgeous scents and colours of fall.
On a chilly autumn day this is a fabulous indoor activity, making your home smell wonderful while keeping little hands busy building strength and fine motor skills.
This Microwave Maple Pumpkin Play Dough is made quickly in the microwave with basic ingredients you probably already have in the pantry. It literally takes just minutes to make! Add a rolling pin, cookie cutters, small cookie sheet and a few cinnamon sticks and your kids will be busy for hours!
RELATED: Another great fall/autumn sensory playdough – Homemade Spicy Citrus Playdough Recipe
Homemade Playdough Hints and Tips
- If pumpkin spice is not easy to come by in your corner of the world, don’t despair! Pumpkin pie spice is a mix of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice and you can make your own very easily – here’s the recipe for The Cafe Sucre Farine’s DIY pumpkin spice mix.
- If you can’t source maple extract (which is different to maple syrup), substitute vanilla extract/essence.
- Microwaves vary in wattage so be sure to read the recipe directions carefully below to make sure your playdough is not underdone or over cooked.
- You can store your playdough after play in an airtight container or bag, it should last several weeks.
Easy Microwave Maple Pumpkin Playdough Recipe
You will need:
- 1 cup all purpose/plain flour
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 2 T. cream of tartar
- 2 tsp. pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Maple extract
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl, stir well to combine.
2. Heat for 30 seconds, stir again.
3. Heat in 15 second increments stirring each time until your mixture pulls away from the sides of your bowl when stirred. Mine was ready at 1 minute 15 seconds, time will vary for different microwaves.
4. Remove from microwave and allow it cool until you are able to touch it comfortably with your hands, then knead it on a smooth surface for about 2 minutes.
5. If your play dough is on the dry side, add a little more oil and knead it into the mixture. If it’s a little sticky? Work in small amount of flour.
Now you’re ready to play!
For more fabulous sensory playdough recipes, check out;