This post is by regular contributor Kyrstie Barcak of A Fresh Legacy.
If your home is anything like ours we have a constant stream of visitors during the lead up to Christmas and into the New Year, and then my boys both celebrate their birthdays.
The recipe below is a child-friendly meal that I like to make if we have visitors bringing children as it is generally a crowd pleaser (even for fussy eaters). Prior to the house descending into the madness and excitement that the holiday period generates this meal can be made earlier in the day and quickly heated when required.
Cheese, bacon and pasta – what is not to like!?! This recipe also works well for a picnic in the park, or school or kinder lunch boxes. It slices and serves easily. If you would like to use up your extra Christmas Ham you could easily replace the bacon with ham.
Cheese, Bacon and Spaghetti Pie
Serves: 4 -6 (adults) with left overs
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
The cooking times and ingredients below are based on cooking in a 23cm pie dish.
- 150 grams of dried spaghetti
- 1 cup of grated cheese, plus extra for topping
- 1 small carrot – peeled and grated
- 1 small zucchini- peeled and grated
- 100 grams of bacon – chopped into small pieces
- 5-6 eggs – whisked
- Large handful of fresh chives chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- Cook spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C,
- To a bowl add all the ingredients (except the spaghetti) and mix to combine.
- Grease a pie dish and when the spaghetti has cooked drain it and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the spaghetti evenly across the base of the dish and then pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Use a fork to jiggle the spaghetti and let the egg mixture seep through to the base of the pie dish.
- Grate a little more cheese on top.
- Place on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 30 minutes. The egg mixture should be set and the top of the pie golden.
- Serve with salad or vegetables.