Looking for a sweet Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day card idea to make with school age kids? We love this string art heart card!
Made with just a few, common craft materials, this card is great for making with children in the later elementary/primary grades.
And if they enjoy the string art making experience, you might like to follow up with our beginner’s Heart String Art project on wooden board.
String Art Heart Card Craft Tutorial
You will need:
- Card stock
- Embroidery thread
- Sewing needle
How to Make a String Art Heart Card
1. Prepare a piece of square card stock. Choose a light colour to really make your string art heart pop!
Using a lead pencil, lightly draw a heart shape onto the paper. Then draw a series of dots all around the heart layout, keeping even gaps between the dots, around 1cm apart. Use the needle to pierce the paper, making a tiny hole on each of the dots you have drawn.
Prepare the needle with your choice of thread. Tie a knot at the open end of the thread.
2. Draw the needle from the backside of the paper through any one hole along the heart layout.
3. Draw the needle all the way to a hole on the opposite side of the heart and pull it through to the reverse side. Don’t pull the thread to tight or the card may buckle.
4. Draw the needle to the front side again, through the next hole along (moving clock-wise).
5. Take the needle across to the hole on the opposite side of the heart and thread it through to the back again.
6. Repeat this process – moving clockwise around the heart, stitching through opposite holes.
7. Once the stitching is complete, draw the needle through to the back side of the paper. Tie a knot and cut off any extra thread.
8. Glue the completed string art heart onto the front of a folded sheet of card stock to complete your Valentine or Mother’s Day card.